Dear T.O. Smith Community,
Welcome to the 2019-20 school year! I hope you have had a wonderful summer break and are ready for another great year of learning, fun, and excitement here at T.O. Smith. Our motto this year is, "See our Tigers Rise to the Top." We are on a path to becoming a top-performing school in Ogden School District and our faculty, students, families, and community partners are a key part in accomplishing this goal!
We are a community dedicated to providing our students with a safe, inclusive, and rigorous learning environment, and it is an honor to be a part of this team. Together, we will continue to elevate our students by focusing on the following goals:
We will ensure students learn the skills they need to interact with kindness and care toward one another. By teaching social skills using evidence-based Second Steps curriculum, we hope to see students increase their ability to regulate their emotions through out the year.
Key Action Steps:
- Second Steps social skills and Mind Yeti used daily school-wide
- Teacher and students completed online Social Emotional Learning surveys
- Provide increased opportunities for student recognition and positive home communication
- Teachers will complete book studies to grow their learning and skills
- Provide additional supports for recess
- Use CHAMPs classroom expectations in all classes
By the end of the 19-20 school year, we will increase the number of students reading at or above grade level to provide equitable access to rigorous content in all subject areas.
Key Action Steps:
- Ensure our Master Schedule meets the required time for literacy and English Language Development time
- Use data to target intervention groups based on specific student deficits
- Teachers will continue to attend professional development to include phonological awareness activities during whole-group instruction in grades K-2 and Special Education.
- Monitor progress bi-weekly and review and take action on data during weekly planning/PLCs
- Increase family literacy nights
In the 2019-20 school year, 80% of students will perform at a proficient level on identified essential standards through the course of the year.
Key Action Steps:
- Provide professional development and time to collaborate
- Identify and unpack power standards
- Create 6 weeks plans and align daily lessons, Common Formative Assessments (CFA), school-based Common Interim Assessments (CIA) to summative assessments
- Incorporate academic language in daily practice via lesson planning, rubric, and exemplar development.
- Review data during Data Literacy Meetings with focused strategies for Special Education and English Language Learning supports
Will will continue our efforts towards growing:
Dual Language Immersion by
- Provide students with a unique opportunity to grow and build fluency in their reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills in English and Spanish.
- Help set students on a path for future Advanced Placement, Honors, and International Baccalaureate coursework at the secondary level.
Blended Learning by
- Support upper-grades by providing students with additional opportunities for individualized instruction and push them to the next level using teacher-led small group instruction and adaptive learning technology.
- Increase communication and connection among teachers, families, and community partners to reach our goal of 95% or higher daily student attendance. For our goals and priorities to truly make a difference in each of our students’ learning, we need them here every day!
As you can see, this is an exciting time of learning and collaboration, and we have so much to celebrate. With your support, we will continue to accomplish even bigger and better goals. Thank you for being a part of making T.O. Smith a community school.
T. O. Smith Elementary is the home of the Spanish Dual Language Immersion magnet program, as well as providing exceptional instruction to neighborhood students. Our school offers a variety of enrichment activities including family nights, clubs and programs and is dedicated to providing educational success for all students.
The Dual Language Immersion (DLI) Program is designed to build academic and language fluency in both English and Spanish. All students with varying abilities and backgrounds have the opportunity to develop their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills in two languages. Dual language immersion offers a rich bilingual experience for young learners when their minds are developmentally best able to acquire a second language.
T.O. Smith Elementary School was erected in 1955, and first used by students in 1956.
The school was named for Thomas O. Smith on March 22, 1956, for the sincere appreciation felt by the Board and community to the Superintendent for his leadership and untiring efforts on behalf of public education; and as had been requested by hundreds of petitioners. Dr. Smith received his Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees from the University of Utah, and his Doctorate degree from the University of Southern California. His professional education career includes 3 years teaching in Weber County schools, Teacher-Coordinator of the Part-Time School; Teacher at Ogden High School; Principal at Lincoln Elementary School; Principal at Washington Junior High School; Principal at Ogden High School; and Superintendent of Ogden City Schools from 1948 – 1969.
Lawrence D. Olpin was the Architect who designed the building, and Saunders Construction Company was the Contractor. The original cost for construction was $525,629.00
T.O. Smith Elementary School will educate, enrich, and empower students and families to allow us to become one of the highest achieving elementary schools in Ogden School District. We will accomplish this by using high-leverage instructional and social-emotional strategies to engage all students, data-driven planning with colleagues to improve professional practices and student outcomes, and an intensified focus on literacy instruction across all grade levels.
TIGER “3E” Mission
All mindsthrough data-driven decision making and differentiation leading to student and family success
Students and families by promoting character & citizenship development through social emotional learning
Dual language acquisition
Students to choose their future by gaining college & career readiness skills
Students to gain skills in order to successfully participate in a global society
Families to be an active part in student success